Tuesday, April 28, 2009

aNCESTRAL HOUSES OF a dIFERENT eRA




Being a part of the City Council, I have been lucky to be able join in their annual lakbay aral. Although, I envy my colleagues who have gone as far as Bicol in their past trips, I am very grateful for the places I have been able to visit because of this opportunity.

This year our itinerary consisted of a trip to the CALABARZON area of Region 4. I tell you, this area is so rich in culture and ancestry. From the artist-ladden town of Angono to the grand ancestral houses in Quezon, all I can say is, "I had a blast!"

I'm a visual person, I appreciate arts through my sense of sight. Paintings, Photographs, Costumes, architecture, sculptures, sceneries, interior designs, these things i appreciate... and I appreciate it well. On a travel tour, I can be eating biscuits the whole time, I wouldn't care as long as my eyes are full with beautiful artworks. A particular place that really regaled my senses was the Gala-Rodriguez house in Sariaya, Quezon. It was spectacular! In its history, its architecture and interior design. The furnitures were so opulent and the people taking care of the house were so accomodating. They had a program ready for us, now where else would a simple tourist/government worker be received with songs and a glass of lambanog? Only in Quezon! It was a pity that we arrived so late in the afternoon, although the incandescent bulbs from the chandeliers gave the tour its own charm. When asked to compare Sariaya and Vigan, both having an abundance of well-preserved ancestral houses, I could only say that they cannot be compared because they were of different eras. Both are to be commended for the efforts to preserved their ancestry and heritage. Their beauty reminds us of what we have lost during wars.

Not to be ignored was our sidetrip to Kamay ni Hesus in Lucban, Quezon. We were just suppose to look around for 15mins. but how can someone go all the way to Quezon and not experience all that it has to offer? Thinking that the bus wouldn't leave us anyway, we climbed the 292 steps all the way to the top of the grotto. The statue was massive! Our guides told us that it was the largest Kamay ni Hesus statue in the Philippines. We had a hard time having our pictures taken with it because we looked minute beside it. The climb was tiring to say the least, but the experience was well worth it. It ws like seeing scenes from the karosas during processions at Semana Santa, only it can't be moved because it was affixed to the ground.

Most importantly, I will never forget this trip because of the wonderful people who accomodated us and took their time to accompany us in our "lakbay". The tour guides provided by the Province of Quezon were well-versed, obliging and friendly. We learned so much from them. Our generous host Cong. Erin Tanada also served us a very filling and superb buffet for lunch even if we arrived really late. Words are not enough to express our deepest gratitudes for their generosity and hospitality. Quezon may be a day of travel away from Vigan but I wouldn't think twice if the oportunity to go back comes along. I know that there is still much that Quezon has to offer to the traveller. I wish we had more time to explore and experience everything about Quezon.


1 comment:

  1. Wow! the architecture of these houses are amazing. I particularly love the first one. I hope they will be maintained/preserved for future generations to appreciate. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

hi! thanks for taking time to visit my site.